Wednesday, September 1, 2010

No Problem

No Problem, is the new mantra I have adopted since being in India. As we drove the two hours back to the city of Chennai, someone asked the driver what happens if you run into someone else car his reply "No problem, you keep on driving." I had to laugh at this, because its true so many times in the trip we had to just look at each other and laugh and say "It's India". On my journey to the airport we took part of a Bus strike, and were stuck behind a bus for 15-20 minutes, before my driver finally weaved his way out of the cars pile up. And I had to just laugh and have faith and we would still get to the airport "No problem". I was surprisingly calm through all of it, knowing I was leaving India I didn't want to miss any experience. Including that of being part of a Bus strike. It was something I had never seen, I watched as the three buses driving (right) in front of us slowly turned all different angles and stopped. We all looked at one another and were very confused. I thought maybe an accident was in front of us or even a cow herd was crossing the street. Because even this is possible in India. Our driver got out after a minute or two of waiting, and turn to us saying "wait here, I'll be right back" in his cute little Indian voice. Not sure why he thought he needed to say wait here, I was not about to get out of the car with motorcycles flying by me right and left. He came back and explained that the bus driver's were striking... this was kind of difficult to explain because his English was very limited but he very patiently kept trying till we understood. We did eventually get to the airport after avoiding several more car pile ups as the buses were striking all over the city. Once we got there and stood in three very long lines we were at our gate...just in time for them to tell us it was delayed and that they didn't have the information now to tell us when we would be leaving. At this point it was much more difficult to say it but I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe and said "No Problem". My flight did eventually leave and I was rerouted and even got to visit Denver. I met several nice people on my flights and even shocked the Indian man sitting next to me when I started watching the Bollywood film on the flight. He then said "soon you will be telling me you're marrying an Indian man." I then said "I wish." This man lives in Denver and offered me a home cooked Southern Indian meal anytime I'm in Denver. Then on my next flight the lady sitting next to me saw the tag on my bag said Chennai and began talking to me. Her and her family had also just traveled back from Chennai and were probably on all of my same flights. Even though they also had a different connection originally. They live in Washington but recommended I go to Chennai Mashala- which happens to be the very restaurant my dad recommended before I left. She told me the Owner there also speaks Tamil, so I'm excited to go in sometime soon.
Several people have asked me if I'm a changed woman since India. And I think in many ways I have been changed but they are all small things. Like I may be able to handle a little more Indian spice than before. I now feel I could take on any airport in the world. I'm now not afraid to barter. My English may be more broken than before I left. :) I can now understand almost any Indian accent. I now have lots of new wonderful friends.  and I think most importantly I now have Indian eyes. But I'm still the same Martha looking through them.

We finished our wall the day before we left and it looks amazing. It reads India Is... in the middle and then we all put around it the things that make up India. Heart is what Ryen put in the very middle, except it's in Tamil so it actually says Irudhayam. But this is so perfect. India is Heart, and it has certainly stolen mine. I loved everything everyone wrote so I'm going to list them.
India is...
What you will make it to be.
The BEST
Karl Marx and Joseph Stalin (haha- names of two brothers at the school)
Divinity
CTR (also another long story)
"This Boy"
Humility
"No beating"
Hot
Incredible
"Opium to my Ears" (longer story)
Vanakkum
Art
Color
Forgiveness
and Lice :)

I want to again Thank everyone who made this possible. I loved every minute of India. And will someday go back...hopefully sooner than later. Rising Star is an amazing program, and I'm so grateful to have been a small part of it. I hope I have been able to accurately portray my experience, and the love I have for these children and then Indian people.

Nandri (Thanks in Tamil) for reading.

All my love.
Martha Davidson

2 comments: