Wednesday, August 25, 2010

India Is...

Yesterday we went to the Bindi Art School. Which is in one of the leprosy colonies, Bharatapuram. Yesterday I woke up and debated with myself. I really wanted one of the paintings, but they are 45 American Dollars, and I just don't have any money- and I have already spent $200 on the trip already. So I decided no I wouldn't get more rupees out of the ATM. So we went and were bombarded with paintings. They brought us stacks upon stacks of paintings. And so we stayed there for probably close to two hours just pouring through painting after painting. It was beautiful. Each stack was from a different person in the colony, and each had its own unique flare. I knew it wasn't a good idea to look through them, since I didn't have the money to buy one. But I started by just looking over peoples shoulders, but then I just got sucked in. And grabbed my own stack. I then saw the first one. It was an abstract painting, but still had body's in the painting if you were looking for them. It reminded me of clouds, which often look just like clouds but if you sit there long enough you can find an Elephant, or a car. It was also so colorful, the color just spilled over the page. It was beautiful. I showed it to everyone around me hoping it would catch someone else eye like mine. Lots of people said they liked it but none really picked it up. Later I walked over to the table and Sarah is showing a different group of people the same painting. Finally Rachel picked it and added it to the pill she was debating between. I was relieved, if I couldn't get it- at least someone else would. But then I found another one. It was of a Sunset and was filled with amazing color, and had a silhouette of two people sitting on a dock. It was so beautiful. I just sat there for probably 10 minutes looking at it, wishing somehow money would just appear next to it- so it could be mine. But no money appeared, but I do believe that I sat just long enough to keep the image of the painting with me for quite a while. I slowly got up, and walked out of the school. It broke my heart way more than I thought it would to leave it behind. I think it was because I met the artist. He actually did both of the paintings I loved. His hands and feet were calloused. But his smile was brilliant, and his creativity was untouched by the leprosy that has so much affected his body. Watching the people explain the art work was beautiful. They were so proud they would hold up there paintings high for the photos. It was all beautiful and I loved it. Even though I left the painting there, I'll still have the memories of the people who made them.
Today we did our "Wall" in the back of the elephant house, each session has painted a section of the wall in there own special way. Today we decided to do India is... as our theme and we all have a ray of sun to fill with what we think India is. I'm going to put color. I love riding around India because I'm always entertained with either the color of the sky, the plants, the clothing or the houses.  It's all so beautiful.
This is my favorite doorway in Old Delhi- the purple and green were beautiful.
Well I'm off to playtime with the kids.

xoxo Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment